Help your kid learn about the traffic lights and signs, and what each color indicates.
- Green means ‘go’: Only when the signal turns ‘green’, vehicles move ahead.
- Red means to ‘stop’: When the signal turns red, all the vehicles have to stop.
- Yellow means to slow down: When the signal turns yellow, vehicles should slow down and prepare to stop.
- The ‘Walk’ or a walking man symbol at intersections are for pedestrians. Cross the road only if these signs turn green. But look to the left and right to ensure no vehicles are approaching.
- Never cross the road if the sign says ‘Don’t Walk’ or if the walking man symbol turns red.
Sometimes a hand symbol is used instead of the walking man or ‘Walk’ signals. Tell your kid about that too. If there are other symbols for pedestrians, you should make it a point to let them know. Gradually, teach your children about the other essential traffic signals they should know.